Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: @ Linux users

You don't have to switch distros to switch desktop interfaces. I like gnome better than KDE, though: KDE comes with a bunch of apps obnoxiously named with a K in the beginning.

XFCE is another good choice. It's lightweight and looks good.

Quote Originally Posted by Macrobius View Post
    Personally I use Gnome, but KDE is fine too. Under gnome, you can get a lot of the KDE applications to run, if there is something you prefer. Ideally, you should try both out. In the long run, I prefer minimalism, and have gotten away from both. A lot of that is because I often run over VNC or, by preference NX Machine remote client (http://nomachine.com).
    Never heard of NX Machine. Is it functionally something similar to VNC?

I'm using opensuse KDE now, gnome is much more user friendly, that's for damn sure. I'm going to give this about a week, then if I don't like it switch back to mint gnome.

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    Never heard of NX Machine. Is it functionally something similar to VNC?
    Yes. I'm not sure if it is officially open source though (but one tends to use the client on windows boxes and the like, and I find it silly to be doctrinaire in that situation).

It is like VNC in principle but the desktop feel is *much* crisper. I know of only two ways to get better than VNC in a typical VNC situation -- X Server running under VMWare [best UI experience but of course memory intensive], and NX Client [good for low mem boxes that won't run VMWare as a better-than-VNC alternative]. It's a bit laggier than X Windows on a LAN, but not much, and the UI doesn't have the 'walking on the moon' feel you get with VNC. The underlying tech is basically like Citrix Metraframe for X Windows (with better default security -- Citrix used to add 100k USD per server for that 'option'). Citirix is a notch above VNC, to my feel, and NX is a bit better than Citrix, but not much.

Also, NX client is part of the PXES 'universal thin client' CD [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PXES] , which means you can access the NX server running on your linux box from any intel box you have boot access to, without touching the local hard drive. That makes it good for Linux demos -- it uses public key for its initial session authentication [but any NX client will get that far, since they share the same keys unless you make it not so -- but at least the dialogue is encrypted from then on, with a session key], then passes you off to a standard ssh session, with [optimised away and compressed] X Windows passed over the session and rendered in the NX client -- that part is like VNC, but it looks much more like standard X Windows. Easy to set up but of course fonts are a pain -- you need a properly configured font server or equivalent and the 'optional' fonts from NX aren't, really. It works well with Gnome -- KDE not sure.

The NX Server is poorly licenced (allows two concurrent users or something) but there is a free alternative called freenx.

Quote Originally Posted by economicallyviable View Post
    I'm using opensuse KDE now, gnome is much more user friendly, that's for damn sure. I'm going to give this about a week, then if I don't like it switch back to mint gnome.
    I use opensuse with KDE, and is satisfied with everything but one thing.

Opera and Firefox crashes if I open to many flash programmes at once, so I usually surf with flash turned off.

Quote Originally Posted by Delete View Post
    I use opensuse with KDE, and is satisfied with everything but one thing.

Opera and Firefox crashes if I open to many flash programmes at once, so I usually surf with flash turned off.
    I can't wait for Mint 6 KDE

KDE is shit imo. I'm on lxde now. It fucking flies.

Adobe Flash Player in Linux with:
    https://manjaro.org/get-manjaro/

http://nsalternatief.wordpress.com/[/URL]
    http://frissekijk.info/
    notimeforsilence.wordpress.com/
    incogman.net/

It is no measure of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society"