Thread: Fedor Emelianenko

Default Fedor Emelianenko

What does everyone think about his future as a fighter?

In 10 years he had 33 fights. He won 31 and the other two were a TKO and a no contest by cuts. Even the TKO cut was caused by an illegal elbow strike.

Now he's lost 3 in a row. What's going on?

triangle/armbar submission vs Werdum
    not allowed to start round 3 against Bigfoot Silva as his eye was swollen shut and he was taking a beating
    referee stoppage against Dan Henderson, the referee said he was knocked out

Well he's getting older, he's 35 and has kept up a very rigorous schedule. He said that he'd been thinking about retiring before fighting Werdum.

Silva was at least 40lbs heavier than him as well. Fedor is small for a heavyweight. Some people say that he should slim down to light heayweight but I don't agree. I think his main strength is his powerful punches and losing weight would weaken them.

I think the main reason he's started losing is he has become too predictable. That's what his brother said too. With his compact stocky build he has these short, fast, round clubbing punches which are very hard to deal with. From the guard too. You see how low he keeps his hands, standing. We saw how he dealt with Tim Sylvia, Brett Rogers and Andrei Arlovski, a big right hand and they went down and didn't get up again. Henderson was going the same way I think.

Werdum is a ground fighter, like Nogueira. Fedor beat Nogueira at his own game, stayed on top and get on punching him. He didn't finish him but escaped every submission attempt almost before it started. I think Werdum and his coaches watched the video of this fight many times and were ready. Fedor's tactics were the same therefore he got submitted.

Against Silva, Silva controlled the distance. He alternately backed off and kept out of range, or jammed Fedor up against the cage. Fedor doesn't like fighting in a cage he always fought in a ring with ropes. Once he got him down in the 2nd round he passed guard and it was impressive for Fedor to survive. I'm not sure what he could have done to win this one.

Henderson was a bullshit stoppage. UFC had it in for Fedor as he wouldn't sign with them, then recently Zuffa, which owns UFC, bought Strikeforce. The referee was Herb Dean, who works for UFC. First of all Fedor was not knocked out, he flipped right over, secondly Henderson then hit him in the back of the head twice. HD should have stood them back up and given Fedor time to recover. Maybe even deducted a point from Henderson.

Fedor is past his best, but I think he has more fights in him. Henderson is 40. But he needs a new training team and some new tactics, maybe some more jujitsu.

Dungeon,

Thank you for posting this--I am a HUGE Fedor fan and was very saddened by his loss to Hendo---I love how Fedor though went for the win--everytime out he goes for the win and was very close to KO'ing Hendo---I hope he fights on and IMO is the Greatest Of All Time

I would add Fedor submitted Hendo's teammate Matt Lindland with ease---Im not sure jiujitsu is his problem and he has most of his wins by submission, in fact I think he could have won that fight by submission had it hit the floor more times---Interesting point on Herb dean, who btw,is a terrible ref---Fedor is my favorite fighter and I thought it was stopped early too until I saw the replay, he did look out

Default Last Six Fights

An Interview with Vadim Finklestein

Did the decision to continue his MMA career largely belong to Fedor, or was it due to his contractual obligations?

A bit of everything. Of course, alone in this question was a personal desire to continue for Fedor. Contracts are of secondary importance. If Fedor decided to leave, he could not interfere with any contract … Fedor listened to what friends, fighters and fans were saying and made a decision. Emelianenko is currently a very high demand athlete. We have consulted with him and decided that you can not go that way. Fedor is healthy and full of energy and he is ready to continue fighting. He is 34. This is the peak age for heavyweights. Dan Henderson continues to compete in the ring at 41 and win. Emelianenko could serve another five years at a high level. This is in fact only the beginning. More injuries he does not have, so to leave now would be wrong.

When will be the return of Fedor? Is it feasible that Emelianenko will enter the ring in Russia?

Yes, we want to organize the fight Fedor in Russia. Work has already begun in this direction. If everything will develop successfully, in the fall we organize a show in Moscow or St. Petersburg and the main event will feature Fedor.

This fight will be held at the show M-1 Global, without any co-promotion?

Absolutely true. We will arrange a fight on our own. Now the market has by and large no one with whom to work. Strikeforce slowly but surely bent under the influence of the new owners from Zuffa. They started firing fighters as well as several other changes – all because of Dana White. He has no interest in running the company, but he creates conditions so that it soon cease to exist. In my opinion, he is very good at it. We’re going to go our own way, developing our own direction. Showtime has met with us. Americans are ready to support our initiative and to support Russia’s fighter, Fedor.

Who are the fighters will be treated as an opponent Fedor?

There are a lot of potential opponents for him. Personally, I’d like to see him face one of the greatest fighters of the best times from PRIDE. I hope that it is an interesting and competitive opponent, such as Kevin Randleman. In any case, we’ll choose a worthy and respected fighter in the world.

American TV networks would certainly interested in having Fedor return to the U.S. to fight with a top-level fighter after one or two wins.

Exactly. That’s what we all are expecting. I hope that in addition to the fight in Russia we will be able to negotiate for Fedor to fight on New Year’s night in Japan. If all goes well, in 2012 we’ll be back in the U.S. All these ideas are being developed, but ideally we would like things to work exactly according to this plan.

What is currently the situation with the contract with Showtime and has there been a change in the agreement?

With Showtime we originally had agreed to broadcast on the 3 +1 scheme. The contract could undergo adjustments in the event that Fedor would lose two fights in a row. Fedor lost, and now the contract is suspended. This is a normal working process. Logically, the TV people will change the conditions in some of the contract. But our cooperation on this will not stop. Showtime is interested in working with us and we are with them. It is interesting to work with him. As a show of good faith, we have decided to allow Showtime to broadcast Fedor’s fight in Russia. This is a large and very expensive project, which should bring our relationship to a new level.

The battle at home, according to many fans, this is a big plus for Fedor, not only because it will be supported by his home fans, but also in familiar conditions for a fighter without the long flights, acclimatization and other negative factors .

I absolutely agree with that. In many ways, this is why we decided to arrange the next fight with Fedor in Russia. He does not need to recuperate from his last fight, so it will have no additional workload due to which his body will be in order. Fedor will have a couple of tune-up fights again and get back to his winning ways before going back to the States to return the debts. I’m sure it’s Fedor strength. Need to start small and gradually build up speed.

Do you think enough just to change the conditions of the organization fighting? But what about the methods and format of training, do not you think that this issue needs overall adjustments?

Overall, we will change nothing. More time should be given to diversity in preparation for the fight. To travel to the famous schools of different fighters for sparring and sharing experiences may alter his style. Dan Henderson offered Fedor some assistance. So what the choice is we will see. We just need to put a lot of effort into practice. A soldier must develop if he ceases to progress, then all we can say is his song is sung. The same can be said for coaches. MMA progresses, so along with them to progress all the action.

Many experts are convinced that Emelianenko is necessary to change coaches. In particular the brother of Fedor, Alexander had some unflattering things to say about his trainers – Vladimir Voronov and Alexander Michkova.

I do not know. That’s a question I have not yet raised. In fact, it’s difficult to comment on this point because I myself am not a master of sport in one form or another martial arts to unambiguously assess the level of the coaching staff. In their working process, I try not to interfere. The only thing I can suggest something to the fan’s point of view without going into details. But one thing is clear: something must be changed.

Vadim, you as a manager and close friend just Fedor does not seem that the belief in some extent interfere with Fedor?

I do not think so. Faith in God, in contrast, gives him the strength, discipline. Knowing Fedor, I can say that with the coming into believing he was better. Fedor problem, perhaps in a slightly different – it is a very correct person. For example, when Fedor is fasting in preparation for fights, he loses a certain amount of useful items. To compensate for the lack of these substances, there are many different legal pharmaceutical drugs he could take, but Fedor refuses to take them. The result is that in the fight his body was not in the best condition. But then you look at a guy like Dan Henderson, all right, who doesn’t have that problem only for the simple reason that he takes drugs to compensate for his deficiencies.

What are the plans Emelianenko in the near future?

Fedor will take a month off for vacation. He needs to stay with his family. His wife had a difficult birth. Now, thank God, all is well and his daughter was born healthy. In September I plan to bring Fedor to the Netherlands. I think that it is necessary to pass a full recovery period in this country. There are all conditions for him to spend time with and to lay the foundation for the future.
    Last edited by Dungeon Master; 08-19-2011 at 09:49 AM.

Dolphin Cuckold Fantasy is offline Aνδρῶν ἐπιφανῶν πᾶσα γῆ τάφος

this fat brawler was overrated by internet aspies for years and i've been saying this (in monologues that i wordlessly mouth while eating lunch by myself in my cubicle) for just as long

as soon as he faced real competition as opposed the steady diet of cans he was fed in PRIDE he was going to get HURT.

yes, fedor was the best HW back in the days (2003-2006) when tim sylvia could be gorge himself at the shoney's breakfast buffet in the morning then show up to miletich fighting systems in the afternoon to lazily jab 230 pound UPS truck drivers who had once wrestled in high school and still retain the UFC belt.

fedor NEVER cleaned out the HW division in PRIDE, either.

his first meeting with nog would NEVER have taken place in country with real pre-fight medicals, since nog's back injuries were so bad he was in the emergency room 24 hours before the fight and walked into the ring drugged up on opiates.

second, well, nog was looking much more active on the ground but fedor 'accidentally' headbutted him (lol).

third, fedor never went to the ground and a pretty good pajama wrestler like nog wasnt capable of taking him there.

cro-cop, of course, out-struck fedor, but fedor did beat him fair and square.

so he has two good wins, cro-cop and big nog. the rest are mainly jobbers or former big names on the down slope of the careers.

no wins over kharitonov, rizzo, ricco, werdum, barnett, overeem, or monson (all of whom fought as HWs or open weights in at least one pride event). of course no wins over JDS, velasquez, couture, lesnar either.

BOOK IT, BABY!

i spend entirely too much time thinking about MMA as i live vicariously through men foolhardy enough to be punched in the face while surrounded by tens of thousands of drunken, screaming proles, so i have mulled over the whole "is fedor overrated" question on many a sleepless night.....

Dolphin Cuckold Fantasy is offline Aνδρῶν ἐπιφανῶν πᾶσα γῆ τάφος

Quote Originally Posted by Dungeon Master View Post
    Henderson was a bullshit stoppage. UFC had it in for Fedor as he wouldn't sign with them, then recently Zuffa, which owns UFC, bought Strikeforce. The referee was Herb Dean, who works for UFC. First of all Fedor was not knocked out, he flipped right over, secondly Henderson then hit him in the back of the head twice. HD should have stood them back up and given Fedor time to recover. Maybe even deducted a point from Henderson.

Fedor is past his best, but I think he has more fights in him. Henderson is 40. But he needs a new training team and some new tactics, maybe some more jujitsu.
    herb dean doesnt work for zuffa. he works for the athletic commission.

fedor was OUT.

Default Lack of Caution costs Fedor Again

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/mma/p...nings/179383/1

Fedor Emelianenko's impatience continues to be his undoing.

One of Dan Henderson's destructive punches from the right side sent Emelianenko limp to the canvas on Saturday, prompting a stoppage by referee Herb Dean in Saturday's Strikeforce/M-1 Global main event. The finish happened because Emelianenko again left himself vulnerable.

Emelianenko had Henderson in trouble after knocking him down. But in his haste to rain down punches, he all but fed his right leg to Henderson, who used it as a lever to scramble up while shoving Emelianenko forward off-balance. It was all the opening Henderson needed to drive home the uppercut that momentarily turned off Emelianenko's circuits.

Backers of Emelianenko argue that Dean halted the fight too soon, given that the fighter was already reacting by the time the referee actually stepped in. But it wouldn't have mattered if Emelianenko wasn't blinded by his own pursuit of a finish in the first place.

Even at his peak years ago in Japan's Pride Fighting Championships, Emelianenko's defense often had holes.

Kazuyuki Fujita wobbled him with a right hand during a punch exchange. Mark Coleman mounted his back in their first fight after taking him down. Kevin Randleman famously suplexed Emelianenko onto his head. Even Mark Hunt -- a kickboxer nearly devoid of ground skills at the time -- had side control and threatened with a keylock.

Fedor Emelianenko found himself with his back to the cage as Dan Henderson pressured him against it on Saturday in Hoffman Estates, Ill. CAPTIONBy Kamil Krzaczynski, APEmelianenko's athleticism and offensive skill carried him past danger throughout his Pride reign. In those days, you knew he would suddenly pull out a move, whether an armbar or double wristlock for the submission, or a deceptively fast overhand right whipping forward for a knockout.

The common trait was his ability to erupt. Emelianenko rarely fought with gradual acceleration: One millisecond he'd be poised on the balls of his feet, the next he'd be in an opponent's face to blitz with power punches.

His habit became more pronounced after he started fighting in the United States. His 36-second destruction of former UFC champion Tim Sylvia in Affliction Entertainment's first show laid the template for Emelianenko's approach in every fight since: Ride big punches or look for quick submission opportunities, regardless of position and control.

Andrei Arlovski picked him apart before jumping directly into an overhand right that proved to be the only punch Emelianenko needed. Brett Rogers' exploited Emelianenko's notorious susceptibility to cuts and busted open his face with strikes before catching one of the Russian's right hands.

That November 2009 bout with Rogers in Hoffman Estates, Ill. marked the last time Emelianenko's headhunting would bail him out.

He knocked down Fabricio Werdum in June 2010 and tried to casually throw aside jiu-jitsu champion's legs to look for a knockout. Werdum made him pay by wrapping his lower limbs around Emelianenko's neck and isolating his arm for the triangle-armbar submission.

In February, Emelianenko had Antonio Silva on the mat in the first round, but rather than secure a position, he tried a quick finish with a double wristlock and let Silva regain his feet. In the second round, Emelianenko left himself wide open while throwing a punch, allowing Silva to duck underneath and grab an easy double-leg takedown. Emelianenko's typically open guard from the bottom let Silva easily pass to side control, and from there to mount.

Then there was Henderson this past weekend.

Emelianenko over the last few years has completely abandoned any semblance of the careful tactics that led him to career-defining wins over Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira in 2003 and 2004, and Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic in 2005.

Rather than go willy-nilly for submissions against Nogueira or recklessly ignoring his opponent's leg positions, Emelianenko made a point of staying in his guard to whip punches at him in a controlled, steady manner. He focused on takedowns and steady ground-and-pound against Filipovic instead of trying to blast him out of the fight in one shot.

No one has suggested that Emelianenko become a tentative fighter. But he used to practice his craft in the sweet spot between caution and recklessness.

Only the latter was on display Saturday. He was throwing strikes as soon as the fight started and kept firing them until Henderson forced him back with a left hook to the face. After minutes of clinchwork along the fence, they resumed their frantic brawl.

Emelianenko after the fight admitted that he believed he could handle Henderson's punching power. Maybe he could have if the knockout blow hadn't come from such an odd angle.

But the man who became the No. 1 heavyweight in 2003 would not have put himself in that position.

Fedor never went to the ground? Most of his wins were by submission?